I have decided I do NOT like being the FOURTH Friday of every month blogger at the Contemporary Romance Café! Why? Because we use themes to blog. Mostly I LOVE this idea because it means I don’t have to spend hours trying to come up with a topic, but this month is HARD! The theme, as you may have probably guessed by now, is WRITERS I ADMIRE and before me there has already been a great number of posts this month on this topic.
At the risk of sounding churlish – EVERYBODY stole MY ideas!! Wah!!!!!!
Okay, hissy fit over. It’s not surprising really. We all write contemporary romance on this blog so already we have that in common and therefore it’s likely our reading tastes are very similar as well. A number of the authors spotlighted this month, I would have fan girl moments over as well – Janet Evanovich, Nora Roberts and Jennifer Crusie for instance.
Like Linda and Leah when I think of writers I admire, it’s not just because I like their books, it’s because they are inspiring in some way.
It may be that:
- They go out of their way to help newer authors than themselves by offering advice, judging contests, putting on workshops or simply offering an encouraging word when needed.
- I like their fashion sense and wish I could look that good at conferences.
- They have written LOADS of books and still continue to produce high quality novels that make me laugh and cry – of course Nora Roberts comes to mind.
- They work hard to make their writing work even though they have young kids or another busy job – Maisey Yates I’m looking at YOU!!
- They are finally published after working hard at their dreams for numerous years or after numerous rejections. My friend Helen Lacey wrote for something like 28 years before she got The Call!
- They actually got off their butt and wrote a novel from start to finish. The number of people that tell me they would like to write a book but they don’t have time! Oh my… that grates on my nerves!
But aside from these type of writers, there are also writers who write books that I wish I wrote. I’ve already waxed lyrical about my love for Bridget Jones Diary on this blog before, so I won’t do that again. Writers that continually do this to me are Sarah Mayberry, Kelly Hunter, Liane Moriarty, Marian Keyes and Monica McInerney.
And there are the writers who gave me such joy when I was a child reading. I cannot blog about writers I admire without mentioning the fabulous Judy Blume (I must, I must, I must increase my bust) or Ann M Martin who wrote The Baby-sitter’s Club – I had the WHOLE collection!
This is such a HUGE topic and I’ve enjoyed the way all the different writers on this blog have interpreted it this month!