I’ve been a fan of Nora Roberts for more years than I care to remember. Actually, long before I started writing, but it wasn’t until I joined Romance Writers of New Zealand and attended my first conference in 1998 that I realized Nora Roberts and JD Robb were the same person.
Our local bookseller did a talk about romance and books, and one of the writers she recommended was JD Robb and her In Death series. During the lunch break, I perused the books for sale and read the blurb of the first book, NAKED IN DEATH. The book sounded good—romantic suspense—so I purchased it. The following week I started reading the book during a visit to the hairdresser. The first chapter threw me a bit since the book was set in the future, but Eve Dallas, the lead character drew me in and soon, I was hooked.
The good thing about finding a book that’s the first in a series is that you get to devour the rest of the series until you catch up. I glommed the In Death series and also introduced my sister to JD Robb.
Currently, I’m reacquainted myself with the series and listening to it on audio. Narrator Susan Ericksen does an awesome job and brings Eve Dallas, Roarke and the other characters to vivid life.
So why do I admire JD Robb in particular?
1. The series is huge with over forty books now. JD Robb is prolific and shows no signs of slowing down. This is great news for readers who love her books and for me, it’s a great example. Whenever I don’t feel like writing, I think of JD Robb, and I usually start working again, trying to follow in her tracks.
2. The characters leap off the page. Eve is a cop with a heart who really cares about the victims and getting them justice. Roarke is a sexy bad boy with loads of money who loves Eve and will do anything to keep her safe. There’s Peabody, Eve’s trusty aid and McNab, Peabody’s boyfriend, Mavis, Eve’s friend and Somerset, the major domo to mention a few of the characters. JD Robb really knows how to portray her characters. They’re well-rounded with relatable flaws and people I’d love to meet in person.
3. JD Robb has a way with words. She draws fantastic pictures with minimal words.
4. Writing a series with ongoing characters isn’t easy, but the In Death series seems to get better with every book because the characters continue growing and evolving.
5. The world building works for me. The series is set in the New York of the future around 2050. It’s a recognizable world to the 21st century reader, but there are some interesting technological developments. Roarke has all the latest toys, some of which I’d love to get my hands on and try for myself!
If you haven’t read the In Death series before, I highly recommend you try Naked in Death, the first book. Get sucked into Eve’s world in the same way I have! I especially recommend the audio format.
Shelley Munro lives in New Zealand with her husband and a rambunctious puppy called Bella. She writes hot and spicy romance for Carina Press, Ellora’s Cave and Samhain Publishing. Past Regrets, her next contemporary romance is due out at Samhain Publishing on 10 September 2013. To learn more about Shelley and her books visit one of the following links:
AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE: http://www.amazon.com/Shelley-Munro/e/B001JOWGNK