I don’t have one favorite character. How could I possibly choose? That’s like asking me to pick my favorite child…or my favorite dessert. It just isn’t gonna happen. But I do have a type of character that’s my favorite. He’s kind to animals. Plays with kids. Holds your hair back when you’re sick. Brings you breakfast in bed. Says just the right thing at the right time. Gives you back rubs without complaining and maybe even buys you tampons. Who is this elusive being?
The Swoony Man.
I crave this when I’m reading. I can forgive a lot in a book if the hero has me hooked with his compassion and his kindness and protectiveness and his sweet, sweet words. A lot of readers look for that alpha man, the guy who can take charge and not break a sweat doing it. Me? I don’t even care, man. Give me an alpha or a beta or a gamma. Just give me my swoons.
Some of my favorites (in no particular order, because like I could do that…):
- Jack from Smooth Talking Stranger. Because there is just something about a man with a baby snuggled to his chest.
- Etienne from Anna and the French Kiss. Because he speaks French and has an English accent and he’s dreamy.
- Lucas from Easy. Because who doesn’t like a knight in shining armor?
- Van from Sheltered. Because he is a giant of a man filled with the softness of a teddy bear.
- Nev from About Last Night. Because he’s perfect. No, seriously, perfect. And he says things like ‘knickers’.
- Tyler in Private Practice. Because he’s dominant without being controlling and also patient and so sweet.
- T.J. in On the Island. Because of the business card. And that’s all I can say about that.
- Brian in Rock Me. Because I love a contradiction. A hot, tattooed, pierced contradiction.
- Shadow from Graffiti Moon. Because he uses the prettiest words.
- Brady from Animal Magnetism. Because there is something delicious about an Alpha man with a soft spot for his woman.
So there you have it. My list of top ten swoony guys. This is ever-growing, ever-changing, but when it comes down to it, I would re-read these books a hundred times if only to get my swoon fix.
Your turn…who’s the last hero that made you swoon your pants off?